Nonimmigrant Visas

If you’re a non-U.S. citizen who wants to come here to work, study, travel, receive medical treatment or other reasons, the Immigration and Nationality Act provides a number of different non-immigrant classifications for individuals to enter the United States for a specific temporary basis.

What is a nonimmigrant visa?

There are essentially two (2) types of visas offered through the Department of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services: immigrant visas and nonimmigrant visas.

  • Immigrant visas are specifically intended for those who have a goal of eventually making the U.S. their permanent residence. There’s a limited number of immigrant visas and the wait time can be substantial.
  • Nonimmigrant visas, on the other hand, typically do not have associated waiting lists and are a bit easier to secure. While a nonimmigrant visa limits your stay in the U.S. to a defined temporary basis, you may be able to secure an extension.

What types of nonimmigrant visas are there?

There are a host of categories of nonimmigrant visas that essentially fall into four (4) main categories:

  • business
  • tourism
  • medical treatment; and
  • certain types of temporary work

The specific types of nonimmigrant visas include:

  • student
  • traveling as a tourist
  • NAFTA professional worker from Canada or Mexico
  • physician
  • religious worker
  • temporary agricultural worker
  • temporary worker performing other services or labor of a temporary or seasonal nature
  • athlete (amateur or professional)
  • au pair (exchange visitor)
  • border crossing guard
  • crewmember
  • diplomat or foreign government officials
  • domestic employee or nanny
  • exchange visitor
  • employee of a designated international or organization or NATO
  • foreign military personnel stationed in the U.S.
  • foreign national with extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics
  • international cultural exchange visitor
  • visitor seeking medical treatment
  • member of the media (journalist)
  • victim of criminal activity; and
  • spouse or child of a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR)

Consultations for Nonimmigrant Visas

Get started today by contacting the Sverdloff Law Group at 312-238-9090 to schedule a consultation about your immigrant and nonimmigrant visa needs.

This is custom heading element